One of the ladies I work with is always making yummy things. She works in different office to me so we tend to email back and forth about what we’ve been making. Last week she was telling me about a Mocha Cheesecake she’d made on the weekend and I thought that sounded pretty amazing. I asked her to email me the recipe, and while it does indeed look delicious, the amount of cheese and sugar in the cake was horrifying! I decided I would see what I could do to replicate it vegan style.
This weekend we spent away in Stanthorpe for a combined Christmas present to my parents/mothers day. I thought I’d make the cheesecake and take it away with us, which worked very well. While I was making the cheesecake, it kind of morphed from a two layer chocolate/mocha cheesecake, to a triple layer banana/coffee/chocolate cheesecake. And it was delicious!
Triple Layer Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups of crumbled walnuts
1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup date paste (blend up about 4-5 soaked dates with a touch of water)
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 large banana
750g soaked nuts (I used mostly cashews, with about 3/4 cup walnuts), soaked for a couple of hours
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp. chia seeds + 1/4 cup water, soaked for 15 minutes
1 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. instant coffee granules
1/2 tbsp. water
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 cup cacao powder
- In a small bowl, mix the crumbled nuts, coconut oil and date paste until well combined.
- Press into a lightly greased spring form pan and then place into the freezer while you make the rest of the cheese cake.
- In a blender, blend up the maple syrup, coconut oil, banana, nuts, and vanilla until well combined. I did this in about two batches. The nuts should be nice and creamy, not lumpy.
- Mix in the chia seeds and flour.
- Divide the mixture into three portions.
- Spoon the first portion over the base of the cheese cake, and put back in the freezer while you prepare the next layer.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix together the coffee and water until the coffee dissolves.
- Mix the coffee mixture into the second lot of nut mixture. Taste it, if you want a stronger coffee flavour, add more coffee.
- Spoon the coffee/mocha portion over the first layer of the cheese cake, and put back in the freezer while you prepare the next layer. Make sure it’s fairly evenly spread.
- For the chocolate layer, mix in the remaining coconut oil, maple syrup and the cacao powder.
- Spoon the last layer (the chocolate layer) over the coffee layer of the cheese cake. Make sure it’s fairly evenly spread.
- Place in the freezer for a few hours.
- When you want to serve, take out of the freezer approximately half an hour in advance.
Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend, I sure have. I will hopefully be back tomorrow night to share some of my snaps of the weekend. Don’t forget to head over and check out my facebook page!