Short Crust Pastry
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
2 cups white spelt flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut oil, hardened
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 tbsp ice cold water
Apple Pie Filling
10 small-medium granny smith/green apples, approximately
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp vegan butter
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp all-spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp cornflour
- Mix the flours and salt together in a bowl.
- Add in the coconut oil and water, and chop using a blunt knife until a dough forms.
- Form the dough into a round, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for approximately an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- To start making the filling, peel all the apples and slice them very thinly.
- Place the apples in a medium saucepan and cover with water.
- Simmer the apples until they are soft. Then drain and rinse them under cool water, and then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the spices, maple syrup, water and vanilla and stir well.
- Add in the cornflour and bring to the boil while whisking. Once it has boiled, immediately take off the heat.
- Whisk until there are no lumps. The texture will be thick and sticky.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Take the dough out of the fridge, break just over half off the round. (If it is quite hard, knead it until it softens).
- Roll out the dough in a circle between two baking paper sheets until approximately 3 mm thick.
- Carefully lift the dough off the paper and press into a pie pan. Press into the corners and allow the edges to hang over the sides.
- Mix together the cooled apples and spice mixture and pour into the pie pan.
- Roll out the remaining dough to the same thickness, then pick it up carefully and place over the top of the pie.
- Pinch the edges of the pastry together and roll it in towards the pie to seal off the apples.
- Using a sharp knife, cut four slits into the top of the pie to allow hot air to escape.
- Using a pastry brush, brush a small amount of milk across the top. If you like, add some xylitol or coconut sugar to the top.
- Bake in the oven for approximately an hour (Check the pie after 45 minutes).