1-2 onions, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
2 zucchini, diced
2 celery stalks, leafy tops still attached, chopped
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
5 garlic cloves, diced finely
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground ginger
fresh corn cut from a cob
800g whole tomatoes in juice, blended for a few seconds
400g kidney beans (rehydrated)
2 vegetable stock cubes
4 cups of water
1 cup of uncooked barley + 2 1/2 cups of water
1/2 tsp or less of chilli powder
1/2 tbsp of chilli flakes
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground pepper
1/4 cup of organic honey
2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves torn off
- Ensure the barley is well rinsed and put along with the water in a medium saucepan and let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Place onion, capsicum, zucchini, celery and oil in the a large saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add the garlic, ginger, paprika, corn, tomatoes, kidney beans and 1/2 cup of water and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the water and vegetable stock cubes.
- Add the mostly cooked barley and bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, chilli flakes, cumin, pepper, honey and rosemary
- Taste, and season however you like. I added extra ginger.
- Let simmer for another 10-15 minutes.